Monday, September 28, 2009

How my passion started

It’s hard to say exactly when I developed my passion for film production. Since I was younger I have always wanted to take pictures and videos. When it came time for family a get together I always wanted to hold the camera, I guess it was also my excuse for when I didn’t want to be in pictures. But even at regular events like going to my brother’s soccer game (which I had to every week) to special events like family vacations, I was ready and willing to be behind the camera. I’m not sure why I loved it so much though, what was I doing that fascinated me so much? I guess that answer started forming when I went to Italy in grade 3.

Obviously the place is filled with a lot of beautiful scenery and I was simply in awe of the place. I wanted to capture it all, so that I could remember it even when I left, and I did just that, taking pictures of such amazing sights such as the coliseum. Yeah I was a kid, and I knew nothing about photography at the time, but I actually took some good pictures, and it was truly an amazing experience.

Going to my brother’s soccer game also provided me with experience in video. Watching soccer all day eventually got boring, and I wanted to do something else! My dad was always videotaping his games and it seemed that videotaping the soccer game was pretty much my only option for an activity, and so I started to film. At first I think my skills were pretty poor, I often missed the shot because I got distracted easily (I guess that’s because I was still a child). Another thing I always did was fool around with the effects on the camera, such as changing it to black and white, or sepia, I thought it was so cool. I also like to play with the fade in and fade out button, to make it look more “professional” (although at first, I was fading in and out from every shot). As time went on and I kept filming my brother’s games, I got better, and I started to plan out the way I would film and how I would end the footage of his game. I was loving every minute of it, and that’s how it all started.

No comments:

Post a Comment